Profile photo of Amanda11
Amanda11
Survivalist
member3

These are all excellent suggestions! Water for drinking and hygiene purposes would of course have to be filtered (I’ve seen the chemical lists on the bottles we dump in there, and long-term drinking that sets warning bells off in my head), and my question was primarily for the garden. There is a lot of chlorine on the city water we are connected to, but so much more in the pool water that I’d be hesitant to just pour it directly on plants.

Tweva, I checked out the link, and you’re right: it does kind of look like a school project, and there’s really no telling how long they did it for. To be honest, it kind of makes me want to do a home science project and see what the effects (if any) WOULD actually be! For control purposes I’ll get three identical types of vegetable plants from the same place (it’s later in the growing season here, but there’s still hopefully 6-8 weeks left). Each will be watered with one type only: rain water, water that has had the chlorine degraded in a soda bottle, and one with water directly from the pool.

The storage drum idea is something I’m working on for the future (the pool is built into the slope of a hill with a lower retaining wall in front and upper behind), so I’m pretty tight on space in the actual pool area itself. Hopefully in the near future I’ll be able to have more of the woods cleared to make room, but it’s just not feasible for this year.

The Hubby’s saltwater aquarium is a pretty elaborate setup so I’m in no shortage of testing supplies, but he’s a purist and doesn’t like depending on chemicals to treat the water. It’s a biological filtration setup that depends on a natural cycle of bacteria growth from several sources: live rock, live sand, and a refugium tank underneath. I hope I sounded smart there, because that’s usually where I stop listening when he’s talking about it. :)

Lots to think about and consider, and I’ll keep you all updated on my little science project.

Hope you are all having a great day!

-Amanda