Profile photo of Novus Ordo
Novus Ordo
Hunter
rprepper

Amanda – saw you in the forums already, that’s great. I think Tweva is/was our only remaining female contributor so I’m sure she’ll be glad to see you commenting there. With any luck Gypsy Wanderer Husky will come back after a time. MOST of the members are cordial, but recently we’ve had some run-ins with a member who has some pretty far out consipiracy theories. On the side, I’ve been talking to him as I think that everyone has some contributions to be made (and he does), but some of the other members are not what you’d call happy with some of the things he says. You’ll see him on there every once in a while. He only uses public computer access as he wants to remain somewhat untraceable…

You’re so right – that’s amazing that every one of those people that obviously would have had difficulty during the blackout didn’t learn a thing. I think it’s because we as American society have become too complacent with the luxuries we have. Unless most are forced to go without for a LONG time (long enough to become REALLY uncomfortable), there will be no impact and thus no learning and no desire to prepare for anything worse.

I got the jist on the water – but how did you have power also? Just curious, I have a generator, but I’d hate to run it long term as that’s a clear sign that I have something others don’t and would bring them around. I hope to get some solar up and running in the near future.

BTW, I read your comment on another topic about the neighbors and I think you have it right. I also have neighbors whose kids we have grown up with (they feed our dog while we’re away) and my other neighbor is elderly – there’s no way that I would turn them away as that is just not the Christian thing to do so we’ll all share our preps and they just won’t last as long. I really couldn’t consider anything else, family or otherwise. Besides, if I did try and turn them away my own family would want me to be generous – i.e. “Give until it hurts, and then give some more”. Not that I can take in every stray, but those I have a relationship with I definitely would and I’m sure they would contribute even though they aren’t preppers now.

Thanks again for the discussion! K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
- Thomas Paine