Profile photo of Anselm
Anselm
Survivalist
member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Anselm wrote:</div>Whirlibird, I’m glad your friends did so well with their trailers. Yet, for each such case that you point out, I’m sure that you yourself can point out another in which people were forced to abandon all they were carrying.

I’m only saying that people should do whatever they do because they themselves think it’s best, not because others do it. “Monkey see, monkey do” is not always a good survival policy.

I’ve been through my share of major floods, major epidemics and some earthquakes and, each time, I’ve had to do something different. What others thought needed to be done was never the issue.

What is truly alarming is that much of what befalls us is done to us on purpose by those much higher up. Remember what Franklin Roosevelt said: “People think things just happen. Nothing just happens; it’s all planned.” So, if we all do the conventional “preps”, we shall likely fall right into the trap they’ve set. They know perfectly well what preppers do, and I’m sure they’re laughing and laughing and laughing.

There is often a reason people all do the same thing, often because it works.

We can argue, banter and bicker the finer points until doomsday.<br>
But logically, there are reasons for all we do.<br>
And often going against logic and common knowledge makes one an example of what not to do.

As to the .gov, for most of us, what they do has little effect on reality.<br>
They can ban/prohibit things, but people don’t have to comply, and seldom really do.<br>
All that really happens is people go underground.

They can’t stop anything, just make things more difficult.

I look at most things from the practical side.<br>
My camping gear will serve for bugging out, power outages, and severe weather. Worst case scenario, I can build and stock a cabin with the same gear and start over.<br>
Sure someone could take it forcibly, but lighting could also destroy my house, which is more likely?

Having spent weeks without power during winter, I tend to plan for such. Having dealt with floods, I plan accordingly. Having been unemployed because of an injury, I plan accordingly.

Conventional wisdom has its points. For example, never get involved in a land war in Russia. The French and Germans both failed to learn this pearl of conventional wisdom.

Being unconventional has its place, but one must still be careful.<br>
I look at the convention and see if it has merit and go from there.

Still, what you say about bugging out with a trailer at a moment of danger only applies to a rural area with very little traffic; it doesn’t apply at all to the city of normal size that I referred to. If the trailer guys take off from a city, there will be horrible gridlock within 45 minutes and those hundreds of trailers, not one or two, plus cars and trucks will be sitting on the pavement until people run out of peanut butter sandwiches and find that they literally have to abandon their beautifully stocked vehicles and go on foot. That’s when they discover that their massive bug out bags are impossible to lug more than a hundred yards; and they have to pitch them too. That precisely is what I said doesn’t work; and you yourself have seen it many times in the news. It’s not bugging out from a rural location that we’re generally talking about but fleeing from a city. Unless you fled the city a day at least before the catastrophe, you need to go very light or stay put. Short of a nuclear blast or such, most city dwellers will benefit from staying put and making do with what is there. If their house is stocked with common sense and they communicate with their neighbors, things will generally work out.