Profile photo of patjoe
patjoe
Survivalist
member2

I hoped high tarriffs would bring back manufacturing jobs to Canada, until I watched Sam Vallely’s film “Will Work for Free”. His thesis is that most jobs will be automated by 2025, causing widespread unemployment. Robots will replace many human workers and 3-D printers will replace factories, pharmacies, and retail stores. He gives the current examples of robots replacing warehouse workers at Amazon, and cashiers at McDonalds Germany, and taxi drivers at Google Cars, and migrant farm workers at hydroponics operations in many countries. I reluctantly admit Vallely is probably on the right track because three of my own jobs have been made obsolete in 30 years and I had to retrain each time I was made redundant. There will be hunger and social strife as we transition from capitalism into a resource-based economy. That’s why I think it’s wise to prep and learn to grow a small family food forest, like they do in suburban Vietnam and North Africa. If you’re interested in the two-hour film, it’s free at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SuGRgdJA_c.