Profile photo of tweva
tweva
Survivalist
rreallife

Well, I agree with whomever this guy is that it is not necessary for someone to have a ‘homestead’/i.e.farm to increase their chances of survival, come what may necessarily (so much depends on what happens, how skilled the person is, and so many other factors)…and I agree that it is not a life many would choose either because it is completely foreign to them; or well known to them in the past and they know all too well the work involved.

I do disagree with this guy that a homestead/farm, even a small one in a small community, is not defensible and a poor choice…and his implication you’d be better off in a gated, well armed community….kind of like Leopard describes. His initial reason he gives about distance to medical care for basic health emergencies (heart attacks etc) is just not well reasoned. In most SHTF sort of situations does he think large town/city hospitals are going to be functioning and well supplied – much less there will be ambulance drivers willing to risk their lives to come get you, even in a city, and take you there? Our tiny community has a fairly large rescue squad with about 12 EMT’s and they even go on rescue calls by horseback into the mountains. We also have about 7 doctors in a 2 mile radius which we know from a community skills assessment we made. If big SHTF and someone called an ambulance for me and it got there – would I willing/knowingly let them take me to a hospital in a city? hell no. Must just be my time to go.

Now, remote locations I personally would not want to live at, miles and miles of current civilization. Mostly because when some supply lines do eventually open up you’d be so darn far from them – how you going to get there and back – unless your retreat is so, so very well stocked for a very long time.

The sad fact of the matter is that the number of working farms in the US diminishes every year. The average age of the farmers that are left is late 50’s and they are retiring or selling off their farms every year that goes buy. The majority of the working farms in this country (as opposed to S Africa and Argentina examples he gave) are run by huge agro-business with mono crops. The bad guys and starving little kids he talks about aren’t going to find much there. Even around me, yes there are farms – but mostly hay and cattle – maybe a soybean or cornfield. Much of the land, sadly sits unused and empty. Easier and cheaper to put it into conservation easement, reduce your property taxes and do nothing with it. Except for one road view I think I have pretty much finished taking care of, if you passed by my place you would not think you would find any ‘farm’ here.

I think his generalizations are a bit colored…haha…but so are mine I suppose. The life I lead is not the life for everyone by any means. And I do agree that to buy a homestead just because you think you would somehow be ‘safer’ and better able to provide for yourself needs a lot more thought and investigation.

In my case, the elevation of my place and the abundant water had just as much to do with my choice of property as with my desire to have more space about me and pursue hobbies I enjoy anyway. My particular bias is towards more serious natural disasters making other SHTF scenarios that much worse.

In the end, I would much rather leave the earth surrounded by mother nature than holed up in some windowless, fortified fortress surrounded by a ton of my fellow humans. To me that would be like building myself my own prison. I feel whomever runs the world put me on earth in this time frame, and lead me here to this area, and here I shall stay – or here abouts. I am not so attached to things and even my place that I would not leave it and move out into the rolling hills where it might be safer for a time.