elijah
elijah
Prepper
member6

A few months ago I went looking for for what I call ‘manual’ games, that is, games that don’t rely on electricity or batteries to use, such as board games, darts, cards, and so on.

The payoff about games is that they can help adults and children have relief from the daily grind of life for a while. Having some fun is essential for mental well-being

I was surprised that a number of games I remember from by youth have become hard to find; it appears that the power games are dominating the market, or have been revised to make them appear more sexy to the younger folk.

I ended up with cards (and chips) and a book of different card games and spare packs (cards get worn or damaged; if you can’t buy more in a crisis having spare packs is a good idea), Scrabble (with inferior hollow tiles; get the old solid tiles if you can), checkers (draughts), dominoes, and Backgammon. I would also look out for games of quoits, hoops and darts, if I had the money to spare. I’ve come to dislike Monopoly because once the properties have all been bought it’s just a tedious grind until one player owns everything.

One game that is easy and also challenging and requires no extra equipment is Charades, provided that there is no need for concern about noise in the crisis situation as people tend to get quite loud while playing it.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!