Profile photo of ronym
ronym
Survivalist
member5

solar panel are interesting for me because of it’s practicality and mobility. it means it can be install directly exposed to sun, and it’s done. not required any moving part like wind generator or hydro generator. and the very important thing is not required any fuel.
after experimenting solar panel ( measuring it’s voltage with multimeter, load it directly with 12dc light bulb, etc ), connecting it directly to 12 volt battery ( after pass it through diode just to make sure we have the right flow of electric current ) and experimenting with DC to AC inverter. i came to realization that most of our need actually can be fullfilled just by DC electricity.
so in my mind i have a plan to setup dual system ( AC and DC system ). AC system are used as minimum as possible. in DC supply also have two setup ( 5 volt and 12 volt ). for converting 12 volt to 5 volt i just using one piece 7805, or if it requiring more than one amps, we can used multiple IC 7805 in paralel. 5 volt supply are used for handphone, smartphone, tablet pc, radio receiver, etc. and for laptop, wifi router, LED lighting, etc we are using 12 dc directly from battery ( if we need to regulate it to exactly 12 volt DC we can setup battery in 18 or 24 volt DC and pass it to IC 7812 )
having DC system also means changing our paradigm. replacing our existing AC tool / equipment to DC that only require a fraction of existing wattage. Like if we using incandescent or flourescent light, we can replace it with 12 volt LED lighting. if we using PC computer that requiring 100 to 300 watt, we can replace it by Laptop or tablet PC that only need 36 watt ( 12 volt at 3 amps ). changing existing TV ( that require AC ) to pocket TV or TV that can run on DC.
by doing that ( changing to DC appliances ) not only we are saving in term of wattage but also means we can setup smaller solar array and battery ( which is of course saving money ).
maybe there are question like how if we want to using refrigerator, washing machine, electric cooker, electric heater for room, or electric water pump ?. this is tough question because of we need big kilowatt solar array ( 5-10 KW ).
in normal condition ( and in SHTF ) actually we can replaced it with “old fashion” way, which is more “electric friendly”.
rather using electric refrigerator ( whether AC or DC ), we can use root cellar storage. electric heater can be replaced with wood stove ( also we can cook with it ) or using biogas from digesting manure / organic waste also simultaneously we can harvesting electricity by using peltier plate. it means we get the heat also electricity.
in SHTF situation using electric washing machine are wasting electricity because of electricity are too precisious. especially if we only have relative small solar array or if we have big array but we must deal with bad weather ( our solar array, wind generator and hidrogenerator are not optimal in producing electricity in bad weather ).
so we must have a plan in using our solar and battery system also in using our tool or appliance that need electricity. including duration of time and wattage. because running out of electricity, especially in bad weather it’s not a good condition. especially if we need extra wattage for emergency purpose. such as if we are run out of dry wood for heating we can using emergency electric heater ( we just need nichrom wire in the right length / resistance, heat resistant to hold wire like ceramic or pottery, a little wire and switch and it’s done ).