Profile photo of Gentolman
Gentolman
Survivalist
member2

I live in central West Virginia. There are many ways to block a road here and there is no going around the blocked road. The hill sides are too steep and take a lot of energy to get up. Anyone up on a hill has plenty of time to get away before anyone can get to them. I have climbed some hills while hunting that it took about 10 rest breaks to get up and that was without a backpack.

Also any decent rifleman can hit a man size target out past 500 yards and that is the distance between most hills. This is rough country but it also has a high percentage of people with outdoor skills. Almost any bow hunter could let you walk past them without you even seeing them. We often make a little cough sound to alert people passing by as to where we are. I look at the population density maps and I look at the high crime areas because that is where a lot of bad people are.

I think it will take a while for any city gangs to find their way here and I also think that it is hard to find people who do not want to be found. It is hard enough historically for a local sheriff to find someone who does not want to be found. FEMA and other gov agencies seem to be paying a lot of attention to this lovely state. This may be because of it being a potential place of resistance or it may be because of the vast areas of wilderness and isolation. They are doing things here that they do not want people to know about. If a person has skills and knowledge one big hillside/mountain side could feed a family for a year. I cultivate those skills but never want to use them.

My plan is for renewable food sources through gardening and fruit and nut orchard and bee keeping along with some chickens rabbits and goats. I learn every trick I can about preserving foods. My backup plans allow for a much less comfortable form of living but doable. With a population of just under 1.7 mil people in the whole state and the way the land is laid out with mostly small valleys you are only about a hundred yards away from being in the woods almost anywhere in WV.

The problem is that there is a scarcity of large flat land to grow wheat or corn or other grains. Flat land is at a premium here and acreage with very much of this land is very expensive. Water is never a problem as there are plenty of creeks and streams and rivers. Ya gotta take the good with the bad but on the whole it may not be a bad place if the SHTF.