Profile photo of drop bear
drop bear
Survivalist
rreallife

I’m going to have to say domestic combatives. I’ve noticed among Australian survivalists a tendency to invoke past glories of the digger spirit and how we all pulled together in the great depression and how resilient we all were. The assumption is that is how we are and that is how we will be in the next big event. But I disagree. In the old days, people grew their own, made their own, preserved their own, and bartered and helped around their own communities.

That is the EXACT OPPOSITE to how it is today. When the SHTF, few people will have a clue how to survive, and if they were floating in the ocean after the ship sank, they’d try to use other people as flotation devices. Sure, at the beginning there would be cooperative attempts, but I think that would only work if supplies were coming in and the only problem was distribution. But if there isn’t enough… then the gangs go door-knocking.

So, knowing how to disguise your home and garden, stay or run, liaise with neighbours, be aware of who is behind the building or on top of the hill, and fight if necessary, are important skills to focus on.

After which, everything to do with food (how to grow it, preserve it, recognise it, prepare it, perpetuate it), and first aid/health/hygiene issues.

And bushcraft. I live is a rural area surrounded by bush. Survival is a bio-regional endevour, and if the bad guys coming up my road are too big in number to be dealt with, then getting the family into the trees is the reality around here.

One sake short of crazed!