Profile photo of Novus Ordo
Novus Ordo
Hunter
rprepper

Mr. Red – I agree with you, but I’m still trying to gather items a bit at a time (then again, I’m a hoarder of sorts).

I think that being able to “make things work” from scraps or what appears to be non-useful items will be one of the most important skills you can have. With that, comes knowing the basics of machinery, mechanics, engineering, plumbing, etc. will allow someone to think outside the norm to fix things without having to take a trip down to the local ACE hardware. If you’ve got the skills to use normal hand tools to make things that will be absolutely necessary for survival, you’ll be a very valuable asset to any crew. This is why one of the reasons to move to the “country” would be so important. Most of those residents have been there for one or more generations and have self sufficiency handed down from father to son and mother to daughter.

They can cook on a wood stove or make a water filter from scratch PVC, charcoal, sand, etc. They can build a very livable cabin from trees on property. They know the mechanics of putting together a gravity fed water system that can not only feed the house, but also a hydro water turbine for power. Anyway, that’s my focus as I’ve always had an interest in how things work, how to make them better and how to fix them if they break.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
- Thomas Paine