Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Whirl,

Fractional distillation of petroleum is pretty straightforward. Heat the raw petroleum and the volatiles evaporate off at different temperatures. Hook up a crude condenser (that looks exactly like the condenser on a moonshine still) and collect up your product. The only thing you really have to watch is your temperatures.

“Coal oil” – kerosene – can literally be gotten from coal. Same deal. Heat the coal slightly in a vessel and the kerosene evaporates off. Re-condense. You got kerosene. That’s why it used to be called “coal oil”. And Kentucky has centuries worth of coal… if I remember right, Wyoming has their share too.

Wood gasifiers have been around for a hundred years. Just read about how Volkswagen made a wood gasifier version of the Beetle during WWII… which I would love to have.

Any diesel engine on the planet will run on vegetable oil if you dump in a bit of lye and wood alcohol (or even booze – ethanol. But that would be a waste of damn fine sippin whiskey. Not sure I could do it).

Be nice to see those old steam trains pounding across the countryside again… seen one, once. It is a sight to behold. And steam engines are wonderfully crude compared to the precision of a gasoline engine. Wouldn’t be hard to cobble together a working steamer. After all, steam trains have been around for… well, I don’t rightly know. Guess I gotta look up when the first steam train went operational… wait one.

Good lord… the first steam train that actually pulled people around was in 1804. That is 210 years ago. I think we could manage to replicate the basics given that the tech is over 200 years old. It might not be as efficient as the latest steamers that operated right before everything went diesel electric, but it would work…

Oh, if you use steamers, you will need water towers in addition to those wonderful old full-hunter 17 jewel railroad watches…

Okay, I’m a closet steam engine and pocketwatch dork… sue me.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1