Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Thanks twee…

We’re still picking up the pieces from an odd – and very powerful – storm. 99% of the storms that we get come out of the Southwest – Warm air from the Gulf heads northeast, where it hits cold air coming out of Canada heading southeast. They crash together and form storm cells which, 99% of the time, keep on heading northeast. It is so prevalent that all the trees around the house are leaning northeast. They just grew that way.

But this one storm, it came straight out of the north. Really odd. Seen maybe one other in the last 4 or 5 years. 65-70mph winds, air so full of lightning you could smell the ozone, horizontal rain. When it was over, and we peeped out, huge limbs were down all over the property. Most as thick as my leg – just really huge limbs. Almost had half of one of our trees take out the power lines to the house. I thought that was it.

Next morning, I get a call from our neighbor. He tells me my barn is in his driveway.

Awww, maaan…

About 1/5th of our barn roof on the east side (facing away from us) was ripped off. I took pictures. It’s not just the sheet metal. When the roof went, it took the stringers, the rafters, the joists – everything – and just left a gigantic empty hole. Picked up all that mess and threw it down the driveway of my neighbor, taking out a couple sections of our new fence along the way… the winds were so strong and convoluted, they tore one of the doors on a horse stall free… it’s just hanging there. I have no idea how that happened… the sheet metal for the rest of the roof was all popped loose and hanging there from the storm, so I suppose that’s why the rest of the roof is more-or-less still there…

So, no rest for the weary… tin snips, screw gun, chainsaw and a wheelbarrow are in my future for today…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1