Profile photo of Novus Ordo
Novus Ordo
Hunter
rprepper

Ghost Prime – My leanings are exactly the same as yours.  Although I still think a “bug in” location in a city is feasible, it will be a bit harder due to all the human interaction because of the population numbers and having to do a fair bit of hiding or laying low.  Having a fall back location in an area that lends itself to self-sufficiency (ample water, fair soil, defensible area, out of the way, natural game, etc.) will be worth many times what you paid when the time comes to use it.

Malgus is on point also in his “tribe up” philosophy.  Thanks for the book review, link and suggestion by the way.

Yes, I agree with the concept of more is better – up to a point.  The larger the piece of property, the harder is to defend and the more personnel it takes.  I’d definitely add several large dogs to the mix also.  If you run short of food scraps, they’ll learn to hunt on their own as it’s in their nature.  My 100 lb. lab catches anything too slow to make it out of the backyard now – even birds.

The lone wolf or single family is not a good recipe – even if no bad guys come knocking someday (fat chance), just the work of running a full time farm is daunting in the best of times and compounded labor helps everyone.

Since everything I’ve read leans toward at least 2 acres of crop land to sustain a family of four, I’m hoping to secure about 20 acres or more – about 5 acres per family for 4-5 families.

Don’t forget that when you’re shopping for locations to go visit the neighbors around the property to “ask” about the property you’re interested in.  This will give you a chance to see how they live and know if they will be a resource or a liability (deadbeats) when the time comes.  You may be pleasantly surprised that most inhabitants of rural areas have a DIY attitude that can also be compounded upon come barter time and help with the heavy work.  I have several friends around the US that are like this – they already live in their BOL and are satisfied that with their neighbors they are about as set as they can be.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
- Thomas Paine