Profile photo of patjoe
patjoe
Survivalist
member2

In answer to your questions:

Canada is a very popular immigrant destination because the Government of Canada actively encourages immigration of skilled workers by misleading them. I am the child of European immigrants, myself, so I know first-hand the hardship these newcomers will face. There are 1.6 million South Asians in Canada now, and 857,575 of them live in my area already. (Source: http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/south-asians/) The anticipated 100,000 new arrivals is an estimate from the consulates. Immigrants often cannot find jobs here, or they work below their level of qualifications. For example, our friend  from Burma/Myanmar is a medical doctor who had to move away from Hamilton to escape running a laundry.

Africa is not a suitable alternative, according to German researchers at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research. Christoph Müller, the lead researcher, reports “Sudan and Ethiopia; the countries surrounding Lake Victoria in central Africa; and the continent’s south-eastern corner, especially parts of South Africa, Mozambique and Zimbabwe … are expected to see more severe dry seasons and reduced plant growth, with flooding near Lake Victoria. … the sub-Saharan Africa regions where by 2100 there will be a high likelihood of possibly severe climatic impacts affecting countries with relatively high populations and high poverty rates.”

The Middle East is not a suitable alternative because of the on-going drought in Syria. Many Arab states already host large numbers of climate refugees. It was the drought that sparked the uprisings of the Arab Spring.

The 10 countries to be most affected by climate change by 2030: Bangladesh; Burma; India; Vietnam; Philippines; China; Haiti; Dominican Republic; Honduras; and Nicaragua.

Even if you don’t believe in climate change, you must have noticed the weather is becoming less predictable. Prices are increasing because of prolonged drought in Texas (meat) and California (produce), and crop diseases in Florida and Central America (citrus and bananas).