Profile photo of Novus Ordo
Novus Ordo
Hunter
rprepper

WhiteKnight –

Coming from someone who’s been to a few of those “not so friendly countries” along with She-Wolf, your post was right on.  Is it like combat?  No.  You recognize that and so does everyone else.  Is it like combat training?  YES!  Matter of fact, I disregarded your comment about it being paintball and applied your 9 points to what I have been trained in and later trained others in and it is very similar.  If I had to score your class I’d give you a 90% or above. 

Almost all of your points made sense and are very applicable in certain scenarios – especially urban environments where you are moving house to house clearing and the bad guys are in very close proximity and sometimes waiting for you in ambush.  Of course you don’t have a time limit to “capture the flag” or whatever and there are many less instances of “shoot and move” as you only do those when you absolutely need to when someone has you in their sights.  Once you establish your crew, patrol, fire team or whatever you are calling your group, paintball and/or airsoft can be a very valuable training tool. 

When one of your crew makes a mistake and runs in front of someone else’s sector of fire and gets shot point blank everyone learns a lesson – the guy who made the mistake and didn’t maintain Situational Awareness (SA), the guy who shot him for no keeping his head on a swivel and realizing that it was a blue on blue situation and the rest of the team learns from both of them.  The good thing is only a bruise and some ribbing by the other crew members is the extent of the injuries.  Only after repeated drills and walk throughs and “games” will get you to the point of live fire exercises.

I went playing paintball with my sons several years ago and got a vivid reminder of what I “should have known” but I got complacent – luckily it was just paintball.  Basically, the teams were just thrown together so there was no familiarity, just a free for all.  I was behind a dirt berm with a couple kids and a teenager.  I popped up to take some shots on the other team but my gun malfunctioned, so I ducked back down to see what was going on with it. 

During my inspection I failed to maintain muzzle awareness and accidentally pointed the gun toward the teen.  Murphy’s Law crept up and while messing with it the trigger stuck and it started rapid firing right into the back of the teen’s head.  He was none to pleased and I couldn’t believe that I’d gotten that type of tunnel vision and forgotten one of the most basic rules.  It was a sober reminder for real live shooting and links to what Freedom was saying about the game being considered a “game” instead of combat training.  Still, when it’s treated as “real” there is inherent value.  Simmunitions is the ultimate tool – basically a special paint round that shoots from your duty weapon when the barrel is replaced so trigger pull, weapon weight, sights, etc. are all the same.  Specialized equipment is required as the simmunition fires with primer and at much higher velocities than a paintball.

In a jungle or forested environment, then I agree with Freedom on laying in wait.  That’s not always possible though, but when it is it’s a valuable tactic.

Thanks again for the post – K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
- Thomas Paine