Whirlibird
Whirlibird
Survivalist
member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Jay wrote:</div>I think its just bad what he makes survival look like when there is much more to it. I would like to keep survival real. Everything else, if taken seriously, is in the best case misleading and in the worst case outright dangerous.

Regardless of anything else, it’s still TV.
There’s only so much realism that one can inject without people changing the channel.
Or the lawyers screaming.

Survival is often boring, and occasionally funny. But hardly TV worthy, hence his “spicing it up”.
One recent event comes to mind, a lady got stuck in a ditch during a blizzard.
She had just been shopping so had plenty of food and was able to thaw snow for water.
She lit a candle for warmth as well as having her heavy winter coat.
She was finally found three days later because she had hung her bright pink bra from the radio antenna and
it was spotted by a passing snow plow.
She basically worked on her Ipad for three days to stave off boredom.

Realistic? Who wants to watch some idiot scrounging for grubs and tubers for 6 hours?
Trying to make a friction fire for the two after that?
There’s a fine line between entertainment and painful.

Grylls puts out some information that can be useful, potentially saving lives.
Some of it’s highly contrived for TV, but that’s expected also.
Added ‘danger and drama’ is the name of the game.

Besides, who’d watch the ‘survival’ shows if someone weren’t eating bugs, drinking urine or something just as asinine.

Actually one of the things I point out to my Scouts now is something from Les Stroud, basically he says drink the water, worry about the bugs later. And realistically, he’s right. Currently few people go longer than three days without being found, and Giardia and other bugs take longer than that to get to you. However you can easily die from dehydration well within three days. Drink the water, get the pills later.