Profile photo of 74


Good advice from Melgus on the BP storage.  Black powder is a very sensitive explosive.  Shock, static, & sparks can make it go off.  It will create a shock wave un-contained unlike smokless powder.  Keep it in the original containers.  The safety can is designed for liquids and has a flame arrestor in the spout. It is a fine copper mesh screen that will disapate the heat of a flame. I don’t believe I would experiment with the can.  The cabinet I suggested is aproved for use by NFPA for the storage of flammable liquids. The wood provides insulation from the heat of a fire. 1 inch of wood will take about 1/2 hour to burn through in an incipient stage fire. A fully involved structural fire is another matter.