Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Good advice re: storage of BP. One of the things I am going to make is a proper storage box. Reinforced white oak, properly dovetailed together and lined with copper sheet. Keeping the cans sealed and in a cool, dry place (like a basement) will keep things tidy and ensure maximum longevity.

One of the things I was researching was how to make your own BP. One of these days, I will post what I have found out (no, it’s not just one recipe. BP has been around for a thousand years, so there’s literally dozens of recipes and all sorts of folklore behind making it). Which charcoals work the best, what you can use, what you should use, etc… Plus grinding the mix properly. You can use a mortar and pestle, but it will take you about 400 years to make a useful amount…

I keep a flintlock musket around and in working order just because. Powder, shot, musket wadding and flints and you’re good to hook. It’s okay for busting groundhogs, turkeys, birds, etc, but is so inaccurate with solid shot that trying to bust a deer with it is a waste of time. One of these days, I’m gonna have to learn how to cast my own shot. Buckshot isn’t a problem. For birdshot you need a copper shot pan. Looks like a great big copper ping-pong paddle with a bunch of small holes in it. Pour the lead on it and it drains through the tiny holes, becoming spheres as it falls into a bucket of cold water, which cools and hardens it…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1