Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

I am looking for information on BLACK POWDER cartridges, Should the SHTF go past 2 years the amount of ammo out there is going to trend to zero in a rather rapid manner, I think that having the ability to load the original BP cartridges might just be a good thing to know. – RROAMM

I’m thinking the same thing. First thing is that if y’all want to lay in a supply of BP, you’re limited by law to 50 lbs. Anything over that and you have to build a powder magazine. But, I’m thinking 50 lbs of BP will go quite a ways.

Primers, too. Couple thousand, at least.

I currently reload for the 45 Colt and the 50-70 Govt. As far as books go, SPG Lube puts out a good primer on how to roll your own BP cartridges. Even got their own magazine. I highly recommend SPG lube. JS Pubs also puts out good BP reloading info.

However, I have found that there really isn’t one “go to” book when it comes to BP reloading. Oh yeah, plenty out there to cover the basics, but when it comes to wringing every last bit of accuracy out of your charcoal burner, it’s caliber and rifle specific.

Example- I shoot a NY Militia Remington Rolling Block in 50-70 Govt. The books I have just to load this one cartridge are:

– Casting Premium Bullets for the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle
– Black Powder, Pig Lead and Steel Silhouettes
– The Paper Jacket
– Loading the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle
– Shooting the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle
– The 50-70 Shooter’s Handbook
– How-To’s for the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Shooter
– More How-To’s for the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Shooter
– Cast Bullets for the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle

So, depending on what you want to shoot, there’s specific information out there for you. Just have to look and poke around, is all.

The good thing is that it’s almost impossible to overcharge a case with BP if it was designed for BP in the first place… but, make sure you use a good lube. Shooting BP, you’ll notice that with each successive shot, the recoil becomes more stout. This is simply Newton’s Law in action… more crud accumulates in the barrel, the harder it is to force out, which results in increased recoil. Using the right lube minimizes this. I don’t work for em, but SPG Lube keeps the crud from accumulating. Seriously. Using a blow tube will help as well… .

Good luck.

Almost forgot… this here is pretty good too.

http://www.jspublications.net/tips/BPLoading.pdf

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1