Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Were you working around lots of roots when auger got stuck? Always happens to me. Reverse usually works but not always. Been stuck many times. — tweva

The roots we did encounter were smallish. Maybe one inch thick, tops. The auger mowed right through them. The problems were:

1. My tractor was built in 1947 and the hydraulics are pretty puny. The earth was compacted and the auger, when we got it out, was just packed full of that dense earth. Plus, I didn’t know about doing the bouncy thing and if I didn’t let up that auger was going all the way to China.

2. My tractor was built in 1947 and the designers didn’t have the foresight to build a reverse gear into the PTO. Seems their thinking was that if you were stupid enough to get stuck and needed reverse, there was no reason for you to own a tractor – you were messing with forces beyond your control. Like old guns that had no safeties… if you shot your damn fool self, you had no earthly business owning a gun. Not having a reverse on your PTO makes you learn what works and what doesn’t really, really fast…

Spring around a place can sure make you feel your age, yes indeed. I fractured 3 ribs the other day and am walking around doing stuff like an old granny! Uh.

Oh no! I hope you take it easy and mend up okay… you know as well as I do that stuff won’t take care of itself, but you have to pace yourself…

And feeling my age? Yeap… you look at that big rock that is the bane of your existence and think “Man, I gotta get rid of that rock!” Then you weigh the size and weight of the rock against how much pain will result from you messing with it and you think “It’s such a nice rock. It’s been there since God put it there. It looks happy there. Who am I to mess with happiness?” Then you walk off, fantasizing about how nice it would be to get your hands on about 5 pounds of high explosives and just blast the living crap out of that stupid rock…

And thanks for the compliment re: my writing. I just write how I think (filtering out the more profane words, no matter how funny they might be). I actually did stand there for about 5 minutes yesterday, contemplating how nice of a planter my tractor would make… “lawn art” I think I called it. I even got into what I call “The Begats”…. you know, where you’re so frustrated you curse the sadist who invented the ground auger and the person who “begat” him, and then who ‘begat” them, going all the way back through the line of sadists to the beginning of time… :) I gotta be pretty incensed to curse an entire bloodline, back to the beginning of humanity…

Glad I made you laugh… sometimes things are just so monumentally stupid, you have to laugh at them… like what I call “13 consecutive miracles”… the only possible way things can get this screwed up is if 13 consecutive miracles happened, one right after the other. There can be no other explanation…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1